According to various studies, the average homeowner lives in their home for about 13 years. That can make selling it a really big task. Daniel and Julie Desrochers of Desrochers Realty Group and EXP Realty share some of the things you should focus on to make the most return.
- When people have lived in a home for a long time they can tend to overlook maintenance issues that need to be addressed. They just get used to living with them and it becomes not a big deal.
Carpet & Paint
- One of the easier updates to do and usually the most needed.
- Carpet tends to wear out and stain over the years or is just dated
- Paint should be a nice neutral gray/beige or white.
- The more streamlined a room is the larger it is going to look.
- Most overlooked areas are storage areas, closets and garages.
Move out and have the house professionally staged
- This by far is one of the biggest returns we see.
- A staged house almost always looks better than a lived in house.
Last but not least – Don’t let emotions get in the way
- When people have lived in a home for a long time we find they are more emotionally attached to it.