Mental illnesses are common in the United States. Nearly one in five U.S. adults live with one with depression being the leading cause of disability in people ages 15-44. Entira Family Clinics screens all adults for depression at every visit with a two question screening tool called the Patient Health Questionairre-2 or PHQ2. If they screen positive then they administer a more precise version.
Dr. David Thorson from Entira Family Clinics is a recipient of the Minnesota Medical Association Distinguished Service Award. He gives us ways you can manage stress and anxiety.
- Plan your time: try making a to-do list
- Relax with deep breathing and mediation
- Get active
- Eat healthy foods
- Talk to friends and family
- Don’t be afraid to ask a health professional for help if you need it
- Engage in activities that you enjoy and make you happy—sports, gardening, music etc.