Owner of Angel Food Bakery, Katy Gerdes, stopped by with homemade hot chocolate recipes to warm us up on chilly winter days.
Hot Chocolate Mix
3.5 oz good quality chocolate bar
1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2-1 C sugar
1/4 C cornstarch
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 C milk
1) grate chocolate w/ cheese grater and transfer to food processor
2) add cocoa powder, sugar (adjust quantity to your liking, start low and can always add more), cornstarch & salt and process until you get a fine powder.
3) store in air tight, dry bottle or jar.
To make hot chocolate:
1) heat 1 cup milk of choice
2) add 2-3 tbsp of hot chocolate mix and stir to melt/dissolve
3) top with whip cream, marshmallows, chocolate sauce, caramel or leave plain and enjoy!
- Add a touch of maple syrup, cayenne & cinnamon for a spicy sweet treat
- Steeping Earl Gray tea in milk (I’ve heard this is a great combo with the hot chocolate!)
- Add coffee & caramel for a caramel mocha
- Add in orange zest & cinnamon