What’s better than warming up with a hearty bowl of soup and a cold chilly day. Chef and author, Robin Asbell stopped by to make a soup that’s equal parts yummy and seasonal.
Quick Creamy Spinach and White Bean Soup By Robin Asbell
Makes about 4 cups
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 ounces salad spinach
1 15 ounce cooked white beans, with juice
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 slices whole wheat bread
How to make it:
- In a large sauté pan, drizzle the olive oil and place over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and stir, and when they start to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook for at least 5 minutes, or longer if you have time.
- Add the garlic and thyme and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer half of the sautéed onions to the blender.
- Place the spinach on top and add the white beans, their juices, vegetable stock and salt and pepper.
- Blend, pulsing on and off, until a the soup is smooth but not completely pureed.
- Transfer the soup back into the pan with the onions and stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Serve with croutons.
- For croutons, cut the slices of bread in cubes.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a wide sauté pan and add the bread, toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt and paprika.
- Over medium heat, toast the bread, stirring often, until crisp.