The Minnesota State Fair is of course known for delicious food, and a crowd favorite is the Wild Rice Cheeseburger from The Food Building. Recipe Developer, Mary Jane Miller stopped by to make these tasty cheese burgers so you don’t have to wait until the next fair to enjoy them.
1 sweet onion, halved and sliced
2 Tbsp. butter
1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
1 (15 oz) can wild rice, drained
4 slices provolone cheese
4 hamburger buns, toasted, if desired
- In a large heavy skillet cook the onion in the butter over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and soft. Season with seasoning salt.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine beef and rice with your hands until well blended. Don’t overmix. Shape beef mixture into 4 patties. Make an indentation in the center of the patties to ensure flat burgers. Sprinkle both sides with seasoning salt.
- Remove onions from the skillet and keep warm.
- Cook burgers in the skillet over medium high heat until juices rise to the top. Turn and cook 30 seconds longer. Top with cheese and continue to cook one or two minutes longer to melt the cheese.
- Serve burgers on buns topped with onions.