Baking Instructor Nancy Burgeson stopped by the TCL studio to share a tasty Pumpkin Whoopie Pie recipe.
Try it at home!
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
2 ounces unsalted butter—room temp
1 can (15 ounces) canned pumpkin
¼ cup buttermilk
¼ cup molasses
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup brown sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter. Add pumpkin, eggs, buttermilk, molasses, ginger, cinnamon and brown sugar. Mix well. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Add dry ingredients to wet. Batter may be lumpy. Scoop batter with small ice cream scoop onto a pan with parchment paper. Bake 15-20 minutes, until they spring back lightly to your touch. Cool.
Nancy’s Buttercream Frosting
2 cups Crisco (or any brand all-vegetable, solid shortening) – half butter and half Crisco make a great tasting frosting!
2 Pounds powdered sugar
1 Tsp. unflavored Morton brand popcorn salt
1 Tsp. vanilla or other flavoring
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp whipping cream or Half & Half
1. Measure Crisco, powdered sugar, salt, flavoring, and cream into mixing bowl.
2. Blend at low mixer speed until well blended.
3. Beat at high speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.