Chef and cookbook author Robin Asbell stopped by with tasty ideas on how to use fruit in recipes when it’s too hot to make a pie.
Slow Cooker Blueberry Nectarine Crisp
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, margarine, or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2 pounds nectarine, sliced
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- Vanilla Ice Cream, Whipped Cream or Vanilla Yogurt for topping
- Lightly oil a large oval 4-quart crockpot insert and reserve.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Melt the butter, margarine or coconut oil and add to the bowl, stir to mix well.
- Stir in the ginger. Refrigerate while you cut the fruit.
- Slice the nectarines into a large bowl, add the berries, vanilla and arrowroot and toss to mix. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture over the fruit, close the cooker.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Uncover and take the crock out of the cooker and place on a cooling rack, or a trivet at the table. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving with ice cream, whipped cream, or vanilla yogurt.
Plum and Avocado Salsa
- Makes 3 cups
- 2 cups chopped plums, about 6-8 plums
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 large lime, zested and juiced
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Chips for dipping
- Place the chopped plums, avocado, jalapeno, red bell pepper, lime zest and juice, garlic sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Toss to mix. Adjust to taste, adding more sugar, salt or lime juice as needed.
- If you are making ahead, wait to add the avocado until the last minute.
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bottle prosecco
- Puree fruit, lemon and sugar with 1/2 cup prosecco, press through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Pour 3 Tbs berry puree in each glass, top with prosecco.