Golden Fig Fine Foods owner, Laurie Crowell, stopped by with some tasty 4th of July side recipes. Visit Laurie at her store! Click here for more information.
Sour Cream + Dill Potato Salad
- 1 lb red potatoes- washed and quartered
- 1/3 C diced pickles
- 1/2 C sour cream (I like Daisy brand)
- 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 TB dill- chopped + more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cover potatoes with about 1 inch water. Bring to a boil and gently simmer until tender. Drain and cool.
Mix remaining ingredients to make dressing, gently toss with potatoes, sprinkle a little extra fresh dill on top for garnish.
Sesame Sugar Snap Peas
- 1 lb snap peas-destringed
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1/4 C cilantro leaves – chopped
Blanch sugar snap peas for about 15 seconds. Immediately plunge into ice water.
Drain and gently pat dry.
Place peas in bowl and toss sesame oil, sesame seeds and cilantro.
Serve at room temp.
This is a recipe I have loved since my time working at Barefoot Contessa in East Hampton…the addition of cilantro is for my tastebuds…the original recipe was simply snap peas, sesame seeds and sesame oil. So feel free to leave the cilantro out if you are not a fan.
Slow Cooker Tangy Baked Beans
- 3 15 oz cans navy beans – drained and well rinsed
- 5 slices bacon – chopped
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1/3 C tomato paste
- 1 TB Worcestershire (Col. Pabst is Laurie’s fave!)
- 1 TB BBQ Herbs (Lawry’s would work but cut the measure to 2 tsp)
- 3 TB good quality maple syrup
- 1 TB honey
- 3 TB yellow mustard (Mustard Girl is always a good one)
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar (I am currently loving the Carr’s Cider Mill vinegar)
- 1.5 C chicken stock
Add onion and chopped bacon to pan and cook about 10 minutes until bacon is crisp and onions are translucent.
In small dish, whisk together tomato paste, Worcestershire, BBQ herbs, maple syrup, honey, mustard, cider vinegar & stock.
Place bacon + onion mixture, beans and whisked together sauce into the slow cooker.
Gently stir to combine well.
Set slow cooker to low for 4 hours. Stir occasionally. If needed, add a TB or two of hot water if sauce gets too thick.