Chef Dinesh from Firelake Grill House and Cocktail Bar prepares a new dish from their menu.
1.2 ea bone in pork picnic shoulder
2.6 cups olive oil
1.2 tablespoons kosher -Mortens salt
3.6 ea onion cut in eighths
4 ea garlic whole
2.4 ea star anise whole
0.6 ea pink grapefruit cut in quarters
2.4 ea orange cut in quarters
1.2 ea fennel bulb cut in quarters
0.8 oz fresh oregano
1.6 oz fresh thyme
1.6 cups apple cider
1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
2 tablespoons Italian parsley chopped
3.2 quarts chicken stock
• Season pork shoulder with salt and pepper
• Combine onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, fennel, star anise, chicken stock, apple cider, olive oil, remaining salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
• Squeeze oranges and grapefruit into the mix.
• After squeezed, put skins/peels of grapefruit and oranges into the mixture.
• Place the seasoned pork shoulder into a hotel pan. Pour the mixture over the pork shoulder.
• Cover with foil and bake braze it at 220 degrees F for 10 hours.
• Pull from the oven. Remove pork shoulder from the pan.
• Shred pork into large pieces and dice half of the fennel, onion, and garlic from the mixture remaining and combine with pulled pork.
• Ad 30-40% of remining liquid from pan to pulled pork
• Season with salt and pepper as needed, adding chopped parsley and remaining fresh thyme
• Pack mixture into a 4” hotel pan with parchment paper lining the bottom of the pan.
• Place another 2” hotel pan on top of the picture and place a 10 pound can on top of the 2” pan to press the pork.
• Refrigerate overnight. Following day, portion as needed (rec 7-8oz) and sear on pan with clarified butter.