Diamond City Bread is known for their authentic sourdoughs and have 18 different flavors with Cranberry Pecan and Plain as their most popular. The owner of Diamond City Bread, Garret Jordahl stopped by to share how he makes the sourdough he sells at the bakery.
4 cups Water (55 degrees)
8 cups Flour- bread flour or patent flour
1Tbsp. + 2 tsp. Salt
2 cups Sour Starter
1. Using a fully active sour starter, Mix all ingredients until fully incorporated (approx. 3 minutes on low speed).
2. Then adjust mixer to medium speed and to develop gluten for 8 minutes.
3. As gluten develops, the dough will pull away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Mixing times will increase if you are mixing by hand.
5. Place dough in covered container and ferment at room temperature for 3 hours.
6. Divide the dough 4 pieces.
7. Shape loaves and place on proofing clothes.
8. Cover and Refrigerate for 8 Hours.
9. Remove covered loaves from refrigerator and allow to ferment for 4 more hours at room temperature.
10. Transfer loaves onto preheated pizza stone in a 450 degree oven.
11. Mist with water and bake for 26-30 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Cool for about 45 minutes before slicing.