Home Chef and Great American Recipe Contestant Tony Scherber joins us to share a recipe that he picked to represent himself best!
Tony’s Korean Chicken Taco Recipe- Serves 6
- ½ cup gochujang
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 tablespoons hot chili oil or garlic chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 (2-inch) knob ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) to taste (optional)
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 (14-ounce) jar kimchi, drained and roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gochujang, 1/3 cup of the soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons of the sesame oil, maple syrup, chili oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, and gochugaru (if using). Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally and brushing with the marinade, until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F, 7–10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate as it is cooked, and add more oil as needed for the remaining batches.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, then transfer to a clean bowl.