We are just days away from the Easter bunny bringing baskets of goodies to our homes. All this week, we are giving you food ideas for your celebrations. Our friend and the creator of Cooking for Dads, Rob Barrett, is here with our main feast … ham!
How to cook a Costco ham
1 Costco ham, around 9 lbs.
3 T water
Remember hams are already cooked, you are just heating it up. You can even cut off some pieces and heat them in the microwave. A good starting place is to follow the Costco directions for cooking.
Here are some steps.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Remove all packaging.
- Place ham flat side down on broiling dish and lightly cover with tin foil
- Cook for 15 minutes for each pound of meat.
- In small pan combine glaze and 3 T of water. Bring to a gentle boil stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
- Once ham is 140 degree, remove foil and brush glaze all over ham and in between ham layers.
- Turn oven up to 425 degrees and cook for 8 more minutes until the glaze is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let is sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut around bone and slice. it should largely fall apart.
- Serve with Rob’s Scalloped Potatoes.
Rob’s scalloped potatoes
4 large russet or baking potatoes.
3 sticks bacon cooked and chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cups grated cheese, your choice I use Swiss and Cheddar
1/4 C heavy cream
Lots of chopped garlic, either the jar (Rob) or about 8 cloves chopped (Elizabeth)
Fresh ground pepper
1 T Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and peel the potatoes removing the colored parts. Slice into thin slices with food mandolin.
- (n a 9×9 baking pan and spread a little olive oil on the bottom to coat. (Pro Tip, use the grease from cooking the bacon.)
- In the bottom of the pan, add one layer of sliced potatoes. Lightly cover with grated cheese, then add some chopped onions, bacon pieces, some chopped garlic, light garlic salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add another layer of potatoes and the cheese ect until you are near the top of the pan.
- Let the last layer be just potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4 C heavy cream.
- Cover with tinfoil and place in oven.
If the oven is 300 degrees it should take 50 minutes, 350 – 40 minutes.
- Check done-ness with a toothpick. Potatoes should be soft.
- Once potatoes are soft, remove foil, add one more layer of cheese. Place back in oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy