Terry John Zila of JohnJeanJuan stopped by the TCL kitchen with a tasty Vietnamese spring roll recipe.
Try out the recipe below:
Vietnamese Shrimp and Pork Spring Rolls
2 ounces rice vermicelli
8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
12 large cooked shrimp – peeled, deveined and cut in half
½ pound thinly sliced BBQ pork
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
8 sprigs fresh cilantro
1 cup finely shredded iceberg lettuce
1 cup bean sprouts or daikon sprouts
1 cup matchstick-size strips seeded English hothouse cucumber
½ cup peeled, shredded carrots
½ cup peeled, shredded jicama
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce ingredients.
2. In another small bowl, mix together the peanut sauce ingredients and top with chopped peanuts.
3. Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
4. Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften. Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place 3 shrimp halves on the wrapper. Then lay a slice of the thinly sliced BBQ pork next to the shrimp
5. Lay a small handful of vermicelli on top of the shrimp and sliced pork. Arrange some basil, mint, cilantro lettuce, sprouts cucumbers, carrots and jícama over the vermicelli. Be careful to use just a bit of each of the filling ingredients as to leave about 2 inches uncovered on each side.
6. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling ingredients.