Executive Chef Donald Gonzalez from Surly Brewing Co. joins us today to make “brinner” for a Monday Night Meal. This is a recipe that you make ahead and it’s ready to go when dinner rolls around.
Serves 6 to 10.
French Toast Bars Recipe for 9”x13”oven pan:
1 each of Texas Toast Loaves
2 cups Cream
2 cups Milk
1 1/3 cups Egg yolk
1/3 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
3 tbsp. Bourbon any
- Preheat the oven to 275 F.
- Remove all crust from the loaves.
- Spray a 9”x13” pan with a good coat of canola oil.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Place bread in two layers tightly and pour the wet over the bread.
- Cover with oven safe plastic wrap and foil.
- Bake at 275f for about an hour. Use a toothpick to check if its set.
- Cool at room temp for one hour
- Place a top weight on the French toasts overnight and cool. The weight will flatten the toast into perfect Bars.
- The next day unmold the French toast and cut into even bars to your liking and store under refrigeration.
Berry Compote Recipe:
2 cups Blueberries
2 cups Blackberries
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tbsp. Lime juice
1. Place all ingredients in a pot and cook over medium heat until lightly thickened stirring often.
French Toast Bars
1 qt Canola oil
3 cups Warm Berries Compote
3 tbsp. Powdered sugar
1/4 cup Mint sprigs
- In a 9” cast iron pan or deep fryer carefully batch fry the French toast until golden brown and place on a paper towel and then to a serving platter.
- Warm the berries compote and pour over the French Toast and top with powdered sugar and mint sprigs. Enjoy.