Chef Terry John Zila shares his cream scones recipe and talks about Hepcat, his new coffee shop that will open on Monday, Feb 7 in in downtown St. Paul in the Osborn370 Building on Wabasha St. North.
Makes 12 scones
3 cups sifted, all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoons salt
⅓ cup granulated sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1 large egg, beaten
¾ cup heavy cream
3/4 cup dried or fresh blueberries, (frozen until hard) and 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup dried cranberries and 1 tablespoon finely grated or orange zest
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup granulated sugar blended with 1 tablespoon finely grated orange or lemon zest
(depending on which variation you use)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and lightly grease a shiny rimmed baking sheet or line the sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, cut the chilled butter pieces into the blended dry ingredients until the mixture resembles course cornmeal. Gently fold in fruit and citrus zest.
- Combine the cream and the egg and add to the dry ingredients. Mix JUST until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and kneed for 1 minute
- Form the dough into a ball and cut in half. Roll each piece of dough into a 7 inch circle. Brush each round with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar zest mixture.
- Cut each round into 6 wedges and bake for 10 to 14 minutes, or until the scones aregolden brown.