It can be difficult to eat healthy during the holiday season, and we deserve to indulge, but there are plenty of gorgeous, flavorful appetizers that won’t make you feel so heavy. Here with some perfect starters for the holiday season, we have supermarket dietitian, Emily Parent from Coborn’s.
Butternut Squash, Ricotta and Sage Crostini
- 3 Cups Cubed Butternut Squash
- 2 Tbsp Food Club Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Food ClubLight Brown Sugar, packed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh Sage Leaves, washed and dried
- 3/4 Cup Food Club Ricotta Cheese, part skim
- Zest and Juice From 1 Lemon
- Whole Grain Baguette from our Bake Shoppe, cut into slices
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Cut the baguette into long thin slices and place on a baking sheet. Lightly season each slice with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake in the oven for 3-5 minutes until slightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, prep the butternut squash. In a large bowl, combine the cubed squash, 1 Tbsp of olive oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly over another baking sheet.
- When you remove the toasted baguette from the oven, place the butternut squash into the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, place a small skillet with 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sage leaves and cook until the edges begin to curl and the leaves turn a darker green. With a tongs, transfer to a paper towel once they are done. Set aside. Once cooled, cut the leaves into small strips.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, zest from 1 lemon, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Once the butternut squash is finished roasting, it’s time to assemble the crostinis. Start by spreading some of the ricotta mixture over each baguette slice. Top with 5-6 butternut squash cubes and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Garnish with cooked sage leaves.
Roasted Pear and Goat Cheese Holiday Appetizer
- 1 Pear, finely sliced
- 3 oz. Reduced Fat Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Four Brothers Chopped Walnuts
- Four Brothers Honey, as garnish
- Food Club Balsamic Vinegar, as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 365 F.
- Place pear slices in an oven-safe baking dish and top with small chunks of goat cheese over the pears. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and evenly divide the pear and goat cheese among plain crackers or crostini.
- Top with chopped walnuts and a light glaze of honey and balsamic.
- 15 Oz. Can Food Club No-Salt Added Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 Oz. Can Food Club No-Salt Added Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 Oz. Can Food Club No-Salt Added Whole Kernel Corn, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 Cup Pico de Gallo
- 1/4 Cup Food Club Italian Dressing
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Put all ingredients into large bowl and mix well.
- For best flavor, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Enjoy with whole grain chips.