Monty Python and the Holy Grail has become a British cult classic and, according to an ABC special in 2011, was named second best comedy of all time. The musical Monty Python’s Spamalot is based off that movie. In honor of the musical’s arrival at the Ordway, we are having our first ever Spamalot Chef Challenge!
Chef Thomas Boemer, the man behind Revival, In Bloom, and Corner Table, does his take on Croque Dadame (a baked or fried ham and cheese sandwich) using SPAM.
Click here for more information on The Ordway’s production of Monty Python’s Spamalot.
by Chef Thomas Boemer
1 can Spam
2 slices Pullman loaf, pre-sliced
2 slices Gruyere cheese
1 TBL butter
1 TBL Flour
1 cup whole milk
1 TSP salt
¼ TSP Nutmeg
2 oz. Gruyere, grated
In a small sauce pot add the butter and flour and gently heat while stirring until they come together.
While whisking, add 1 cup milk a little at a time until the milk is thickened. Add salt, nutmeg, and grated cheese and set aside.
1. Butter bread and season lightly with salt.
2. Slice spam in ¼-inch thick slices and caramelize in sauté pan.
3. Build sandwich: buttered and seasoned bread, 1 slice gruyere cheese, spam, cheese, buttered and seasoned bread.
4. Griddle sandwich on each side to a golden brown.
5. Top with 2 – 3 oz. of sauce.
6. Broil sandwich until sauce bubbles.
7. Fry egg sunny side up and place on top of finished sandwich