Ann Kim is the restaurant owner behind Young Joni, Pizzeria Lola and Hello Pizza. She is up for a 2019 James Beard Award in the Best Chef: Midwest category. Ann stopped by the Twin Cities Live kitchen to share her advice on making the perfect pizza crust at home.
Ann’s advice for creating the perfect pizza dough:
- Don’t overmix your dough
- Use a pre-ferment like poolish or biga
- Time and temperature are your friend. Take accurate readings of your dough. The longer you let it rest, the better.
- Let it rest in the fridge 24-48 hours before you roll it out
- Make sure to let the dough rest at room temperature before you stretch it out
- Always use a pizza stone or baking steel in the oven
- Crank the oven to the highest temperature and let your pizza stone warm up for at least 2 hours