Baking instructor, Nancy Burgeson shows us how to make a lemon curd trifle that would be perfect for your family’s summer barbeque.
Angel Food Cake
1-1/2 cups white sugar (divided in half)
1 cup cake flour
1-1/2 cups egg whites (11-12 eggs) See Note below
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla, cherry or almond flavoring
2/3 cup chopped finely maraschino cherries (drained well, but reserve the juice)
Instructions for cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift together 3/4 cup of sugar and the flour two times. Set it aside.
- In a clean, grease-free bowl, beat the egg whites until they are frothy .
- Add the salt and cream of tartar, then beat until the eggs hold stiff peaks.
- Add the remaining sugar, three tablespoons at a time, beating well after each
- Fold in the flour/sugar mixture about 1/2 a cup at a time, then fold in the the flavoring and drained cherries.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food cake tube pan.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and looks dry.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately invert the pan, standing it upside down; cool completely.
- Run a thin bladed knife of spatula around the inside edge of the pan loosening cake from pan.
- Invert out on to a plate.
Store the cake in an airtight container until ready to use.
NOTE: separating eggs from shell when cold is better but, beating eggs at room temperature is also better.
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla, lemon or almond extract
¼ granulated sugar
In a large grease free bowl, whip cream until very soft peaks form. Slowly add the granulated sugar and the flavoring and beat until stiff peaks form, set aside.
1 small jar lemon curd
2 cups lemon yogurt
Mix together curd and lemon yogurt until no lumps of curd remain.
Add about 1 cup of whipping cream mixture to the filling mixing to blend.
3 cups of your favorite fruit, washed and drained well.
- Cut cake into small-bite sized pieces
- Use a Trifle bowl or large glass bowl spoon a light layer of cream at the bottom.
- Place a layer of cut square cake pieces on top of cream.
- Spoon on a layer of lemon curd mixture and top with whipped cream.
- Dot with a few of the berries.
- Repeat process until in order given above.
- Top all with a very generous layer of whipped cream.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.