Chef Yia Vang of Union Hmong Kitchen and Vinai prepares an easy summer meal using instant ramen. Yia has been doing some great events this summer- including “Vinai and Company” a fun dinner series that is are with other chefs and bartenders at the St Paul Farmers Market.
1 Pack of Instant Ramen (save the seasoning packet and chili packet)
2 Tsp Chopped garlic
2 Tsp Chopped Ginger
2 Tsp Chopped Lemongrass
2 Tsp Chopped Shallots
1/2 C chopped onions
1/2 C chopped red bell peppers
2 stalks of green onions sliced
1/4 chopped cilantro
(You can add other fresh summer veggies here)
Hmong Sausage, or 4-6oz ground pork (chicken or beef) or other protein
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1/4 C Canola Oil
- Follow the instructions on how to cook instant ramen (only cook the noodles). Strain the noodles, rinse the noodles out with cold water and set it aside
- In a large frying pan (non-stick would be preferred) add 2-3 Tablespoons of oil on high heat
- Add in the onions, red bell peppers, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and shallots. Cook until tender.
- Remove out of the pan and place on a plate on the side.
- In the same frying pan add your meat along with fish sauce, oyster sauce and seasoning packet from ramen packet. cook between 7-9 mins or until the meat is cooked through all the way
- Add the veggies and ramen into the frying pan
- Incorporate all the ingredients, then add the egg into the noodles, making sure it’s all scrambled in
- Toss into a bowl
- Garnish as you wish, add any hot sauces you like