Sick of the walking tacos? TCL Cook Patty Morrissey stopped by with some tasty salad recipes and fun ways to eat them at your next party.
Thai Rice and Shrimp Salad
1 c jasmine rice
2 tbsp red fresno chile pepper
1/3 c finely julienned cucumber
1/4 c cilantro
6 mint leaves
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tbp black pepper
6-8 large shrimp
2 tbsp golden peanuts
1. Cook rice in the usual way, allow to cool down.
2. Combine rice with fresno chiles, peanuts, cucumber, cilantro, and mint. combine the lime juice, fish sauce, oils, and sugar and mix it into the rice.
3. Add in shrimp and pepper, serve on greens. top with additional golden peanuts and cilantro. 1 cup raw blanched peanuts (available at asian markets) 2 cups peanut oil (use a high quality peanut oil due to concentrated flavor) 1. Heat peanut oil in a kettle to nearly smoking. add peanuts, stir once, remove from heat. 2. Let sit for 10minutes. remove peanuts with slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
4. You can reserve oil for other uses. Peanuts can be left whole, chopped, or ground in food processor as preferred.
Thai Chicken Noodle Salad with Peanuts
1 market rotisserie chicken
1/2 pound fresh chinese egg noodles
2 tablespoons high quality peanut oil
1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and julienned
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 small fresh red fresno peppers, seeded and julienned
1/4 cup thai basil, julienned
1 teaspoon minced fresh lemongrass
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons fish sauce
5 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chinese chili oil
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
1. Tear chicken into 1 and 1/2 inch long bites with your hands. Put in bowl.
2. Bring water in a pot to boil and cook noodles briefly (chinese noodles are usually done in 4 minutes or so).
3. Drain and rinse with cold water immediately to stop cooking. add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and set aside.
4. Toss noodles with the cucumber, red onion, chile peppers, ginger, and basil. Set aside.
5.Combine the lemongrass, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and salt. set aside.
6. When ready to serve, toss noodles with the chicken, sauce, remaining peanut oil, herbs, and all remaining ingredients except peanuts. sprinkle peanuts over top and serve.
Mixed Greens Salad with Strawberries and Lemon Goat Cheese Medallions
2 (4 oz.) lemon goat cheese logs
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 large egg
2 tablespoons whole milk
1/2 cup panko
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
zest from 1 lemon
5 ounces mixed baby greens Goat Cheese Log
1. Cut each goat cheese log into 4 rounds. press to 1/2 inch thickness on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. freeze 20 minutes.
2. Place flour in small bowl. whisk egg and milk in second bowl. combine panko, salt, and pepper in 3rd bowl. Dredge goat cheese rounds in flour, dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko mixture until coated. place on plate and chill as you prepare the rest of the rounds.
3. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet on medium until hot. add goat cheese rounds to skillet and cook on each side, 3-4 minutes total. drain on paper towel.
4. Arrange greens on platter, top with strawberries, cucumber, onion, and goat cheese. Top with zest of 1 lemon and drizzle with strawberry vinaigrette.