Every week, cooks and chefs will stop by with quick and simple dinner ideas to help you get you week started off strong. Fitness expert and owner of The Warehouse, Nickie Carrigan says you can keep your meal healthy and simple without sacrificing the flavor. She stopped by to share a tasty burrito bowl recipe.
1 can of black beans
1 can of corn
1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts (or frozen chicken from Trader Joe’s)
1 cup of brown rice
1 package of Frozen Roasted Bell Peppers and Onions from Trader Joe’s
1 package of shredded lettuce
1 package of shredded cheese (any flavor)
Toppings: Guacamole, or store-bought Pico de Gallo, 1 container low-fat sour cream or 1 container of plain Greek Yogurt
How to make it:
1. Warm a large, non-stick skillet to medium high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet. Cook for a few minutes on each side.
2. Prep the rice, use the directions on the back of the box.
3. Sauté preppers and onions.
Assemble the Burrito Bowl:
1. Place lettuce on the bottom of serving bowls and divide rice evenly among the bowls.
2. Divide the drained and rinsed corn and black beans.
3. Top each bowl with guacamole, sour cream, Pico de Gallo and cheese.