Josh Nelson of Almanac Fish stopped by the TCL kitchen with a tasty sea scallop recipe and information on National Seafood Month.
Sea Scallops and Squash Puree
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 6-8 0unces of fresh dry packed USA sea scallops
- 1 whole Kabocha, or winter squash
- 4 Tbsp. chermoula
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Roast or boil 1 whole squash. Discard insides, and skin
- In a food processor or blender puree the squash along with ¼ cup olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finish by folding in 2 Tbsp. of butter before plating
Chermoula (A North African olive oil, herb, & spice condiment)*
- 2 cups cilantro leaves (2 large bunches)
- 1 ½ cups parsley leaves (1 large bunch)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (to taste), halved, green shoots removed
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- ? teaspoon cayenne (more to taste)
- ? to ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Chop, or blend all ingredients together.
- Preheat a large sauté pan to medium high heat
- Lightly salt you sea scallops.
- Add 2 Tbsp. canola oil (not olive oil) to pan. Gently place scallops in pan.
- We are looking to do a sear on both sides, so keep an eye on them. We are looking for a nice golden brown. If heat is maintained, scallops will release from the pan easily. After 60-90 seconds, flip the scallops. Repeat process on other side, turning off heat and setting aside when finished.
- Spoon the finished squash puree in center of plate.
- Place 4 scallops on top of puree, and drizzle with the chermoula.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chek out #SmartCatchMN on Instagram!