A slow cooker recipe is the comfort food we crave as it starts to get cooler outside. Twin cities Live Executive Producer, Mandy Tadych made Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings and 5 Eyewitness News meteorologist Wren Clair made Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
2 pounds cubed stew beef
3 cups water
1 (0.75 ounce) packet dry brown gravy mix
1 (1 ounce) package dry beef stew seasoning mix
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots
2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
4 stalks celery
1 large onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package fresh sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1. Put beef in slow cooker
2. Whisk water, gravy mix, and stew seasoning together in bowl until no dry mix remains: add Worcestershire sauce, whisk again and pour over the beef. Add tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, celery, mushrooms and onion.
3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or 6 hours on high) stirring after 4 hours.
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
1lb of chicken thighs
2 cups of water mixed w/ 2 tablespoons of Better than Bouillon Chicken (link betterthanbouillon.com)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of celery soup
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
½ stick of butter – cubed
1 medium yellow onion – chopped
1 shallot – chopped
A few shakes of your favorite turkey or chicken seasoning
1-2 cups of chopped carrots
3 stalks of celery – chopped
1 ½ cups of frozen peas
1 package of refrigerator biscuits
Salt & pepper to taste
1-2 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Add chopped onions & shallots to slow cooker.
2. Add chicken thighs.
3. Top with cans of soup, thyme, turkey seasoning, salt & pepper & stir.
4. Add 2 cups of water & bouillon mix.
5. Top with cubed butter.
6. Cook for 3 hours of high or 6 hours on low.
7. Shred chicken.
8. Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces.
9. Add carrots, celery, frozen peas, Worcestershire sauce.
10. Add biscuit pieces.
11. Cook 1 hour on high.
12. Top with parsley.