January is “Onion Fun & Garlic Yum!” month at Veggie Buds Club! Creator Monica Irwin shares two family-friendly recipes. Click here and use the coupon code: TCL15 for 15% off any subscription or shop item from 1/29-2/2/21.
Click here to buy other products from Veggie Buds Club!
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ small onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
1 stalk celery, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch dice
¼ teaspoon Kosher or coarse sea salt, plus more to season
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium sized waxy potato (red or yellow skinned), cut into ¼-inch dice
¼ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
½ 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes (about ¾ cup)
3 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water
Handful of green beans, trimmed and cut into small rounds
½ cup frozen peas, frozen corn, or a combination of both
½ cup alphabet shaped pasta*
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or micro basil
Freshly ground pepper
Parmesan cheese, for the top (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook until vegetables have softened slightly, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and potatoes. Stir an additional minute.
3. Add tomatoes, broth or water, green beans, and alphabet pasta. Bring pot up to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender and pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in frozen peas then turn off heat and stir in fresh basil.
5. Taste soup for seasoning then add in pepper and additional salt, as needed.
6. Ladle into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of extra basil, if desired.
*Cooked pasta will absorb lots of liquid if left in the soup for an extended period of time. If you’d like to make this soup in advance or freeze a portion to enjoy another time, you will want to cook your pasta in a separate pot, drain, then add to the portion of the soup you will be eating right away.
Crunchy Roasted Garlic Chickpeas
1 can of chickpeas
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- Dry the chickpeas with a paper towel and remove as many of the chickpea skins as possible. Be sure to get them as dry as possible, this will ensure that they are crispy when baked!
- Mince the garlic cloves. In a medium bowl, mix the minced garlic with the olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Toss the dried chickpeas into the garlic infused olive oil and mix well.
- Transfer the chickpeas onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crunchy.
- Let cool and season with more salt as needed.