We want you to start your week off strong with a simple dinner idea that’s easy to make and will impress your family. It’s our Monday Night Meal presented by Nordic Ware. Emily Dingmann is a nutritionist and mom, she stopped by to make a meal that you can cook once but eat twice.
Easy Homemade Chili Recipe:
1 large white onion
5 cloves garlic
15.5 oz. can black beans
15.5 oz. can kidney beans
2 lbs. ground beef (80% lean)
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
26 oz. jar garlic marinara
14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup beef broth
toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped onion
1. Prepare ingredients:
Drain and rinse beans.
2. Heat large pot over medium high heat. Add oil to pot and when it shimmers, add onions, cooking for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic to pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add ground beef, breaking up a bit with the back of a spoon. Add seasonings to ground beef, stir to combine, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add marinara, tomatoes (don’t drain), beans, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare any toppings if necessary.
4. Season with salt to taste and serve with plenty of toppings.
*Reserve 2 1/2 cups of chili for later in the week!
• Get your kids involved! They can: add seasonings to pot, rinse beans, add their own toppings to their bowl.
• Instead of seasonings, you can use 1 1/2-2 Tbsp. of chili powder. Add salt to taste.
• Be sure that your marinara sauce is a plainer version, and not one with Italian flavors.
• Bone broth helps add a really deep and rich flavor, use it if you can!
2 1/2 cups leftover chili
2 yellow peppers
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 flour tortillas
1. Prepare ingredients:
Heat leftover chili in the microwave or on stove top until warm.
Slice peppers into strips.
2. Cook quesadillas: lay one tortilla in pan. You’ll use about 1/2 cup shredded cheese per quesadilla, so sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese down on the tortilla, then scoop the chili over the cheese, spreading it out over the tortilla. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and the other tortilla.
3. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining ingredients for a total of 4 quesadillas.
*Alternatively, you can heat them in the microwave for about 60 seconds, or until cheese has melted.
4. Top with sour cream and chopped cilantro and serve with pepper strips.
Receive 20% off Emily’s Healthy Weekly Meal Plan: Click here and use code TCL20.