It’s the start of a busy work week and that means it’s time for another Monday Night Meal. Culinary Director of Vivo Kitchen, Chef Daniel Wesener stopped by to share how to make a restaurant quality recipe with a counter-top standby.
For more information on Nordic Ware product, click here.
Braised Short Ribs
4 pieces short ribs, (8-10 oz each)
2 tb canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 carrot, large dice
1 onion, large dice
2 stalks celery, large dice
3 each garlic cloves, peeled
2 oz red wine
4 oz coffee
14 oz chicken stock
1 each bay leaves
1 sprig thyme
1. Cut all vegetables and collect the ingredients.
2. Season short ribs very lightly with salt and pepper
3. Heat a large sautee pan, add canola oil, and brown the short ribs on all sides. Place browned short ribs in the crockpot
4. Add vegetables to the pan, and sautee them until some caramelization happens
5. Add the chicken stock, coffee, and red wine to the vegetables in the saute pan. Bring to a boil
6. Pour the contents of the saute pan on top of the short ribs in the crockpot
7. Add the bay leaf and thyme to the crockpot
8. Turn the crockpot on the high setting and cook for 5-6 hours
9. When finished, i like to gently remove the short ribs, strain the juices in the crockpot, and reduce it until it is a thick consistancy
10. Create your favorite potato recipe, and some seasonal vegetables, to complete the dinner
Brussel Sprouts With Almonds
16 oz wt. Brussels sprouts
4 tb canola oil
2 tsp salt
1 t butter
1 t sliced almonds, toasted
2 t honey
small pinch kosher salt
1. Cut the stem end off of the Brussels sprouts, and cut them in half
2. Toss cut Brussels with canola oil and salt
3. Place Brussel sprouts on a sheet pan, and roast in a 400 degree oven for 7 minutes
4. Meanwhile, melt butter and sliced almonds in a saute pan until butter is bubbly.
5. Add the roasted Brussel sprouts, honey and a pinch of salt.
6. Saute until Brussel sprouts are nicely glazed with the honey and butter