Katy Gerdes, owner of Angel Food Bakery, stopped by the TCL studio with a festive eggnog recipe.
- 12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 pint half-n-half
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup Jamaican rum
- 1 cup cognac
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid “ribbon.”
- Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
- Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there’s nothing that says you couldn’t age it a year, but I’ve just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)
- Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top
Recipe inspired by Alton Brown, click here.