Located in the central part of Apple Valley is a one-of-a-kind restaurant, called VIVO Kitchen. It’s known as a scratch kitchen and they use locally grown ingredients. Director of Culinary Development, Daniel Wesener stopped to make “BLT” Bruschetta.
5 cups Local tomatoes, (peeled, seeded, diced)
2 ½ cups Rice vinegar
10 tb Sugar
5 t Light corn syrup
5 tb Honey
10 tb Garlic, minced
1 ¼ tb Coriander seed, toasted
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil
2. Reduce until mixture is almost dry
3. Label and store cold, please
Roasting Pork Belly
½ belly = 3.5 Pork belly
3 t Sea salt
1 1/5 t Black pepper
1. Score the fully thawed pork bellies across the top every ½ inch, in both directions, ¼ inch deep. This will make the top of the belly have a diamond pattern, and it will render fat much faster.
2. Season the pork belly with the salt and pepper.
3. Place on a sheet pan and roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes
4. Decrease temperature to 250, and roast for 2 hours, or until the meat can be easily pierced with a skewer.
5. Cool on the sheet pan.
6. Split the belly in half cutting with the grain on the meat.
7. Portion into 2 oz pieces cutting across the grain of the meat.
4 c Mayonnaise
½ t Hickory powder
2 t Worcestershire
1. Combine all ingredients thoroughly