Lachelle Cunningham is the executive chef and co-owner of Breaking Bread Café in north Minneapolis. she also owns her own catering business called, Chelles’ Kitchen. She stopped by to make out-of-the-box Easter brunch ideas included Black Eyed Pea Pancakes.
CARROT & BLACK EYED PEA PANCAKES
4 cups Black Eyed Pea Flour
2 cups Water
1 cup cooked Carrot Purée
¼ cup Date Syrup
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1. 2 HOUR AHEAD: Combine black eyed pea flour with water and soak for at least 2 hours.
2. Mix in carrot puree, date syrup, baking powder and salt until smooth.
3. Heat nonstick pan over low-medium heat and add about ½ tsp of (vegan) oil.
4. Pour ¼ – ½ cup of batter into the pan and cook until bubble form around the edges, about 3-4 minutes. Flip (should be golden brown) and cook cake on other side for about 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Remove from heat and serve with spiced date syrup and orange segments.
SPICED DATE SYRUP
Yield: 2 cups
1 cup dates
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cayenne
1. Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
2. Keep the syrup in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Vegan “No Egg” Salad Fancy Toast
One (15 oz.) can chickpeas, or 1 1/2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas
1 ripe avocado, pitted
2 teaspoons mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup small diced onion
1/4 cup small diced green pepper
1/4 cup small diced celery
1/4 cup small diced cucumber
1 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
1 tablespoon fresh minced dill
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp Paprika
Salt & Pepper to Taste
4 slices, toasted bread (English muffin, pumpernickel, rye, whole grain)
1. If using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain them well.
2. In a large bowl, combine the avocado and chickpeas, and roughly mash with a fork to combine.
3. Add in the mustard, lemon juice, salt, onion, green pepper, celery, cucumber, parsley and dill, then stir well to combine.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spread on toasted bread and top with garnishes.