This Pasta is great for date night. It’s elegant and easy and when made with high quality ingredients so delicious. It’s also a perfect balance of taste and texture with savory cured prosciutto and fresh sweet peas in a sauce of white wine, cream, and truffle oil. This dish feels fancy but comes together quickly. Food blogger and cookbook author, Tonja Engen stopped by to share date night dinner tips.
Fettuccine with Peas and Prosciutto
Servings: 4 to 6
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 ounces prosciutto, sliced into ribbons
1⁄4 cup dry white wine
1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
3⁄4 cup frozen sweet peas
1 pound fresh or packaged fettuccine
3⁄4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Drizzle of truffle oil (optional)
Set a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, set a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil and the butter. Add the shallot to the pan and sauté until trans- lucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and sauté for 30 seconds. Place the prosciutto in the pan and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine and cook until it is nearly evapoated, about 30 seconds. Add the cream, salt, and pepper to the pan, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, letting the cream reduce by half. Add the peas.
When the pot of water is boiling, stir in the pasta. Turn the sauce to low while the pasta cooks. Strain the pasta and place in sauce. Sprinkle with the cheese. Drizzle with truffle oil. Toss the pasta well. Serve immediately.
Caramel Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
2 Tbls. butter melted
2 croissants, torn into small pieces
¾ cups milk
1 Tbls. brown sugar
2 Tbls. sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
3 Tbls. chocolate chips
4 soft caramels, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 6-ounce ramekins with non-stick spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and salt until evenly combined.
3. Toss croissant pieces with melted butter and add to the egg mixture along with the caramels.
4. Fill the ramekins half way full. Sprinkle one tablespoon of chocolate chips over the croissant mixture in each ramekin. Divide the remaining bread between each ramekin. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
5. Place the dishes on a baking sheet, in case the pudding bubbles over. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Carefully remove from the oven. dollop with cool whip or ice cream.
7. Serve immediately.