Every year, the Minnesota Garlic Festival takes place featuring over 20 garlic growers across the regeion to help support sustainable farms and vital rural communities here in Minnesota. The event is a virtual one this year and Chef Jessica Tijerna shares her recipe for a garlic spread.
Lebanese Garlic Spread (Toum)
Serves: 6 *Vegan & Gluten Free
1 cup garlic cloves, peeled
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 ½ – 3 cups canola oil
2 tablespoons ice water
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Place the garlic cloves and salt in a food processor (you can also use a mini prep or an immersion blender) and puree until very smooth.
- Stop the food processor and scrape down the sides to get any chunks that managed to sneak away.
- Turn the food processor back on and slowly drizzle ½ cup of the oil into the garlic and salt mixture.
- Now add in 1 teaspoon of the fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Go back and add in the another ½ cup of canola oil and 1 tablespoon of cold water, then 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice until all the lemon juice is used.
- Add in the final tablespoon of water and continue to process for 1 minute.
- You want to be sure to do it this way to produce a super fluffy end result.
Taste it. Does it need more salt? Add it. Does it need more lemon juice? Add it. Your call.
When it is the consistency of fluffy mayo it is ready to eat! About 10 minutes.
*May be kept up to 21 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator