Josh Nelson is owner of Almanac Fish in Lowertown St. Paul. Josh himself is an avid fisherman, and he travels about the state in his free time to his favorite fishing spots, including SE Minnesota and shores of Lake Superior (not the lake itself, but the rivers and streams feeding into it, so he can cast for trout – one of his favorite fish.)
• two 6-ounce trout fillets
• 3 sprigs of fresh dill
• 2 tbsp butter
• Zest from half a lemon
• Salt and pepper
• Preheat sauté pan on medium high heat, add butter
• Place seasoned trout fillets skin side up in pan
• When fillets are ready to release from pan (about two minutes or so) turn over with spatula and reduce heat to medium.
• Add chopped dill, continue to baste fillet with butter for another two minutes. Turn off heat. Add lemon zest
• Using spatula, plate trout alongside your favorite vegetables, grains, and salads.
Fish water lake fish pair well with a variety of fresh seasonal herbs, such as basil, chives, cilantro, marjoram, mint, rosemary or thyme. For a bit of Southeast Asian flair profile try a combination of basil, cilantro and mint!