Ann Ahmed from Lat 14 Asian Eatery joins us to show us how to turn your left over steamed rice into a delicious crispy rice salad. It’s a dish that Star Tribune restaurant critic, Rick Nelson, named as one of his Top 10 Things He Ate in all of 2019!
For Crispy Rice Paddies:
-Cook 1.5 cups of white rice (measured dry- not cooked)
-1/2 cup of grated cococut flesh
-2 small kaffir lime leaves (minced) about 1Tbsp
-2 Tbsp red curry sauce
-Vegetable oil to fry
Crispy Rice Salad:
-1 large nam sausage or 1 cup of nam broken up from its sausage form
-1 Tbsp fish sauce
-2 tbsp of fresh squeeze lime juice
-1/4 cup chopped green onions
-1/2 cup chopped cilantro
-1/2 cup of crushed peanuts
1. Allow steamed white rice to cool then add: kaffir lime leaves, red curry sauce, paprika, grated coconut flesh and egg, then mix thoroughly.
2. Form little rice patties (about a two ounce) with the coconut curry rice mix.
3. Heat cooking oil to 350 degrees. Fry patties and be sure to turn/flip them to crisp all sides. Fry until desired crispiness (or 3-5 minutes per side).
4. Allow patties to come to cool.
5. Once cooled, break patties. Add cilantro, green onions, nam sausages, fish sauce and lime juice. Mix thoroughly.
6. Nam Khao is eaten like a lettuce wrap. Entirely up to you! Feel free to garnish with as many herbs as possible, mints and shiso are most common.