When making small talk, one of the questions you might ask is, “what do you do for a living?” If the answer is that you are a doctor, there is usually some kind of follow up question that begins with, “I have this problem…” Dr. Jaime Davis from Uptown Dermatology answers some of the most common questions she is hit with.
Question #1: Is this mole ok?
- Dr. Davis says, it’s tough to assess a mole on it’s own and out of context. She recommends a full body skin exam and it should be done with a dermatoscope. If your dermatologist doesn’t use this tool, Dr. Davis says to find a new doctor.
- For a self exam, use the “ABCDE’s”.
A – Asymmetry
B – Border
C – Color
D – Diameter
E – Evolution
Question #2: Is there anything I can do about these wrinkles?
- Dr. Davis answers that it depends on the wrinkles.
- Expression-related wrinkles (like between the eyebrows or crow’s feet) –
- Use Botox to eliminate or reduce lines.
- For sun damage wrinkles –
- Use a gentle cleanser morning and night like Dove soap.
- Add Vitamin C to your skin every morning.
- Use sunscreen SPF30 or higher.
- Use a retinoid like ROC Retinol, Olay Ageless Intensives, or Tretinoin (a prescription).
- Get peels (like Microdermabrasion) from your dermatologist.
Get 50% off any chemical peel, microdermabrasion, or laser peels at Uptown Dermatology. Call 612-455-3200 for more information and be sure to mention TCL Deal.